A green salad and some crusty bread is all that’s needed for a delicious supper, but there’s enough sauce to have rice as part of the menu.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Servings: 6
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried thyme and dry mustard (each)
- 1⁄2 tsp (2 ml) cayenne and ground cloves (each)
- 1⁄4 tsp (1 ml) Salt and pepper (each)
- 4 chicken legs (separated into thighs and drumsticks)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 Ontario Onions (sliced)
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh gingerroot minced (or 1 tsp powdered ginger)
- 1 can tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) packed brown sugar and soy sauce (each)
- 1 Ontario butternut squash (peeled and coarsely chopped, 7 cups)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
- fresh parsley (chopped)
In large bowl, combine paprika, thyme, mustard, cayenne, cloves, salt and pepper; add chicken and roll to coat well. In large deep skillet or shallow saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; brown chicken well, in batches, removing to plate.
Pour off all but 2 tbsp (25 mL) drippings from pan. Add onions, garlic, ginger and any remaining spices in bowl; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, brown sugar and soy sauce. Bring to boil, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan.
Return chicken and any juices to pan; add squash. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 35 minutes or until squash is tender and juices run clear when chicken thigh is pierced.
Dissolve cornstarch in 2 tbsp (25 mL) cold water; stir into stew and cook, stirring, until thickened. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 33.0 grams
- Fat: 18.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 33.5 grams
- Calories: 428
« C-K Top Producer Of Brussels Sprouts Maple-Braised Apples And Pork »