Grain Farmers of Ontario has developed five smart growth recommendations for candidates in the upcoming provincial election. These recommendations will sustain and grow the grain and oilseed industry in the province.
- Adequate funding for the business risk management program
- Investment in a specialized soybean refining facility in Southwestern Ontario
- Support for the Processor Retention and Investment Attraction Program (PRIAP)
- Sustainable solution to pollinator health and a commitment to a national science-based approach
- Continued public research investments in longer-term issues facing Ontario farmers so that we may remain competitive with our larger acreage competitors
Grain Farmers of Ontario looks forward to meeting all of the candidates for the 2014 Ontario provincial election and to having fulsome discussions about these priorities for smart growth.
“Grain Farmers of Ontario’s smart growth strategy is about growing connections with the processing sector, opening world markets, managing risks, and ensuring access to new innovations,” says Henry Van Ankum, Chair, Grain Farmers of Ontario. “A value chain effort, stakeholder commitment, and smart government investments are needed to achieve sustainable growth.”
Grain Farmers of Ontario will be hosting a series of Tractor Cab Telephone Town Halls.
Our farmer-members want to be part of the election discussion; however, due to the late spring, many of them are still in the field planting. To help facilitate our farmer-members’ involvement in this year’s Ontario election, we are inviting a representative from each party to attend one of our three Tractor Cab Telephone Town Halls.
Details on how farmers can participate in the Tractor Cab Town Halls will be posted online at www.gfo.ca .