This is another reminder of the upcoming deadline application (April 10 at 5:00 pm) to apply for The Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence.
This is an annual program that recognizes outstanding agri-food related innovators including producers, processors and organizations. The objectives of the program are to:
- recognize and encourage innovators in the agri-food sector;
- foster innovation in the agri-food sector that has an effect at the farm level; and
- raise awareness about the importance of agri-food innovation and its impact on the Ontario economy.
Examples of innovation areas include but are not limited to:
- improved business practices
- response to consumer demands (e.g. new product development, value added, marketing, strategic alliances, local food)
- environmental stewardship
- energy and bio-economy
- health and safety
- food safety and traceability
- education and marketing of the agriculture and food industry to society.
Eligible applicants to the program are primary producers/farmers, processors, and agri-food organizations. This awards program is not intended for the research community.
Award winning innovations could receive one of the following:
- Premier’s Award (one award valued at up to $75,000)
- Minister’s Award (one award valued at up to $50,000)
- Leaders in Innovation Award (three awards valued at $25,000 each)
- Provincial Award (45 awards valued at $5,000 each)
In addition to the monetary award, recipients receive a plaque, gate sign and the use of the Premier’s Award program word mark.
If you have questions about the program or are aware of innovators and would like the Premier’s Award program to make contact, please forward the innovator’s name, contact information and a brief description of the innovation to Darlene Harrietha at Darlene.email@example.com or 519-826-4847.
It is important to remember that:
- a) if an innovator applied before and was not successful they can submit a new application with the same or an alternate innovation
- b) if an innovator has won an award, they can apply with a different innovation
- c) if you want to discuss previous applicants, contact Darlene
- d) innovations could have come to fruition at any time, not only within the last year
- e) information on the program and the application is available at http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/premier_award/index.html