This recipe makes about 4 cups of soup. This soup is easy to make, and is hearty enough for a meal.
Nutrition and Meal Ideas:
Canned tomatoes are an excellent source of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is needed for healing wounds and fighting infections.
Try using canned tomatoes to make homemade pasta sauce: Fry some onions and garlic in a pan. Then add the tomatoes with some oregano and basil. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Per 1 cup serving: 175 Calories; 10g Protein; 5 g Fat; 27 g Carbohydrate, 9 g Fibre, 23 mg Vitamin C
• If you are using whole tomatoes chop them before adding to the soup.
• For variety, try adding different kinds of beans to this soup.
• Try adding frozen broccoli or spinach to this soup for extra greens.
- 1 can (19oz/540ml) tomatoes
- 1 can (14oz/398ml) beans in tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Turn on stove to medium-high heat. Put tomatoes, beans, water, basil, and parsley into a medium saucepan. Heat to boiling.
- Turn down heat and simmer soup, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir several times.
- Serve in bowls with grated cheese on top.