Serve this Middle Eastern-inspired salad with whole-wheat pitas and melon wedges.
Makes 6 servings, 1 cup each.
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 15-ounce cans lentils, rinsed, or 3 cups cooked brown or green lentils
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup diced seedless cucumber
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
Whisk lemon juice, dill, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Add lentils, feta, bell pepper, cucumber and onion; toss to coat.
French green lentils are smaller and firmer than brown lentils, and cook more quickly. They can be found in a natural-foods stores and some larger supermarkets.
To Cook Lentils:
Place lentils in a medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook until just tender, about 20 minutes for French green lentils and 30 minutes for brown. Drain and rinse under cold water.