Preparation time: 20 minutes / Cooking time: 80 minutes
Makes 8 Servings (1 2⁄3-CUP (400 ML))
A dinner soup filled with great chunks of savory sausage and loaded with vegetables.
*Slow Cooker Friendly*
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (15 mL)
- 1 lb turkey sausage, cut into chunks (500 g)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1)
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery (125 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot (125 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup diced green bell pepper (125 mL)
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) tomatoes (1)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (1 L)
- 1 bay leaf (1)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (25 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1⁄2 tsp dried basil (2 mL)
- 1⁄4 tsp dried thyme (1 mL)
- 1⁄4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (1 mL)
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) kidney beans, (1)
- 1 cup tubetti pasta or other tiny pasta (250 mL) drained and rinsed
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté sausage, garlic, onion, celery, carrot and green pepper until sausage is browned and vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes; drain fat. Add tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, parsley, salt, basil, thyme and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add beans and pasta; simmer until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
If you choose to prepare this recipe in a slow cooker instead of on the stovetop (see page 113), precook the pasta separately and add it at the end, cooking just until heated through. There are about 2 cups (500 mL) of beans in a 19-oz (540 mL) can.
Other vegetables you can use include shredded green cabbage or kale, red bell pepper, potatoes, mushrooms and zucchini.
Nutrients Per Serving:
Calories: 238 Carbohydrate: 26.5 g Calcium: 74 mg Fat: 6.9 g Fiber: 5.8 g Iron: 3.0 mg Sodium: 949 mg Protein: 17.9 g Very high in: Niacin, folate, vitamin B12 and zinc
• High in: Dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin B6 and magnesium