Ontario Federation of Agriculture Commentary
By Mark Wales, OFA Director
Farms and Food Forever – that’s the new mission of the Ontario Federation of Agriculture (OFA) as the organization embarks on its 81st year of service and support for Ontario farmers.
The organization is guided by its mission statement and values – as determined by the board of directors – and 2017 marks a new course for OFA. The updated mission reflects our need to think long term, our need to practice sustainable farming, and the increasing interest and perception of agriculture by consumers.
The new, simplified mission – Farms and Food Forever – will direct OFA’s strategic work over the coming years as we continue to serve our 36,000 farm business members. OFA’s new vision for Ontario agriculture includes a world where:
- Farming is a science based, technologically savvy industry
- Food and renewable agriculture-based products are produced sustainably
- Farmers are proud of their role, contributing to and advocating with OFA
- Consumers are knowledgeable of and engaged with the food systems
- Nutritious Ontario food is readily available to Ontarians and enjoyed around the world.
OFA is embarking on a new approach to advocating and serving Ontario farmers. We’re proud of our longstanding history and visionary approach to agricultural leadership.
The new strategic plan outlines three broad objectives to guide the organization’s direction for working within the industry, with consumers and advocating with government policymakers. Each objective is further refined in a series of key outcomes that dictate our day-to-day activities. Our broad objectives include:
1. Building public trust and a sustainable farming sector.
2. Recruiting and engaging OFA members with excellent service, benefits and member involvement opportunities.
3. Operating an efficient, professional organization that provides a voice and achieves positive results for Ontario farmers.
You can visit ofa.on.cato read more about OFA’s new strategic plan.
From primary producers to urban consumers, farming, food, technology and sustainability are becoming commonplace in our everyday discussions. OFA is reflecting this changing landscape with our bold mission and a focus on meeting objectives to ensure Ontarians always have local food available.