Dear Local Producers,
The Chatham-Kent Food Policy Council has been working on creating a Gleaning Project for Chatham-Kent. The 2017 season will be our second full year of the project and we hope to expand the program. We are looking to partner with additional local producers.
Please find attached an information letter and if you are interested in participating, an intake form to complete. Feel free to share this information with anyone you feel would be interested.
A couple of important points:
- All the volunteers that will be coming out to your location will be trained on health and safety by the health unit. We have a complete training workshop that they are required to attend and would be happy to share this information with you if you have any questions. For insurance, all volunteers are covered under the municipal volunteer policy.
- Your involvement would be very simple:
- Fill out the attached form to confirm you participation and when you crops are ready, just let us know and we will set up the time at your convenience to have the volunteers come to glean your crop.
- OR – just contact us when you crops are ready for harvesting and we will get your contact information at that time and we will set up a time at your convenience to have our volunteers come out and glean your crop.
- In 2017, we gleaned 7 different crops from 6 different producers with 9 local agencies receiving the produce that was picked by 25 trained volunteers. We hope to continue to expand this success for the 2017 season!