May Food and Beverage Industry Information
Lots of news in the month of May! This month’s industry information e-news offers various industry updates, opportunities and resources for those in the food and beverage industry. Read on to learn more.
1. OMAFRA’s Business Development Branch Client Satisfaction Survey – Now open until May 31, 2019
2. Ontario Government Conducting Consultations on Industrial Electricity Prices
3. Food Processing Skills Canada is Looking for Manufacturing Industry Employers with Open Job Positions
4. Canadian Export Challenge Application
5. FedDev Ontario Announces $1 Billion in Funding for a Stronger Southern Ontario
6. Canada-UK Call for Proposals on Enhanced Industrial Productivity
EVENTS TO ATTEND
7. Business Ingredients for Success in the Food & Beverage Sector
8. HACCP Training
9. AGRI Tech Venture Forum
10. Food Processing Skills Canada 10th Annual Speaking Food Conference
11. Canadian Snack Foods 63rd Annual Conference
12. Natural Products Canada & Nutrition Capital Network September Investor Meeting
13. Halal Expo Canada 2019
14. 2019 Meat Industry Expo
15. Hire a University of Guelph Co-op Student!
16. Work with University of Guelph Students to Solve Product Development Challenges
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER @OMAFRA to stay up-to-date on the latest news, events and more!
Help us, to help you! Take this quick survey before May 31, 2019.
This is a client satisfaction survey relating to the services offered by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs’ (OMAFRA’s), Business Development Branch (BDB). Your opinion is important and will provide valuable insights in improving the services provided by the branch. Responses are anonymous and will be aggregated. When completing this survey, please base your responses on your interactions with staff in the Business Investment and Development Unit (BID) and the Ontario Food Export Unit (OFEX).
This survey is NOW open until May 31, 2019 and will only take a few minutes to complete.
The Government of Ontario is consulting with businesses about the design and effectiveness of industrial electricity pricing and programs. Consultations will begin online from April 1, 2019 – May 31, 2019. In addition to the online process, in-person sessions will begin in April and will be held in every region of the province. There will also be sector-specific consultation sessions with key industries, including agriculture.
Some of the major areas for input include: electricity rate design, existing tax-based incentives, reducing system costs, and regulatory and delivery costs.
Food Processing Skills Canada is Looking for Manufacturing Industry Employers with Open Job Positions
The Food Processing Human Resources Council (FPHRC) is looking for industry employers in provinces BC, AB, MB, ON, NB, & NS that have open job positions, and are willing to participate in a training program to help provide feedback on the skills and attributes that create employee retention in the manufacturing industry. There is no cost to employers. More information can be found on theFPHRC website.
The FREE training program includes:
- Nationally Recognized Technical & Food Safety Certification Courses
- Employability Training
- Soft Skills – Personal Management
- Workplace Essential & Literacy Skills
Startup Canada, UPS, Export Development Canada, and the Trade Commissioner Service are coming together to support a cohort of 1,500 Canadian businesses to scale and succeed globally in 2019 as part of the Canadian Global Entrepreneur Cohort.
Accepted entrepreneurs will:
- Have a chance to pitch to win $2,500 and a trip to Toronto for a chance to win $25,000 and up to an additional $100,000 in in-kind scaling support;
- Graduate from one of eight 1-day Global Accelerators across Canada in May and June;
- Connect with Canada’s entire trade ecosystem in one place, on one day;
- Get the latest information on Canada’s trade agreements and how to leverage them to scale faster;
- Gain privileged access to all partner programs/ offers and early access to global trade missions, accelerators and supplier diversity opportunities; and,
- Receive the official graduate pin and certificate signed by Minister Ng, Minister Carr, Canada’s Chief Trade Commissioner and the President’s of Export Development Canada, UPS and Startup Canada.
Accelerators will take place in Vancouver, Edmonton and Winnipeg in mid May 2019 and in Mississauga, Ottawa, Montreal, and Fredericton in June 2019.
Should you have any questions, please email Andrea.firstname.lastname@example.org
On February 27, 2019, the Government of Canada announced over $1 billion in funding for FedDev Ontario to continue to foster growth in southern Ontario. Recognizing the vital role rural communities play in the region’s economy, it was announced that FedDev Ontario is dedicating an initial sum of $100 million to projects that drive innovation and growth in rural communities.
Projects can now be submitted using a single application, through three simplified funding streams, which have been designed to meet the needs of our businesses, job-creating entrepreneurs, innovation partners and communities both now and into the future. Application information can be found here.
A call for proposals is now open to Canadian small or medium sized enterprises who wish to perform joint Research and Development (R&D) projects with enterprises in the UK.
The goal of the Canada-UK Call for Proposals on Enhanced Industrial Productivity is to foster and support eligible UK and Canadian organizations in pursuing collaborative projects that will deliver enhanced competitiveness via the development and application of novel technologies, including artificial intelligence, advanced manufacturing, and food production.
The full application deadline is May 9, 2019. For more information, contact Gordon Jolly
May 15, 2019
Department of Food Science/GFIC at the University of Guelph
465 Gordon St.
Guelph, ON, N1G 2W1
Spend the morning learning from experts in the food and beverage sector how to access the available resources to support R&D, growth and innovation. Learn about how to develop innovative solutions for today’s complex challenges, changing innovation in the food sector, and provincial support programs.
May 15, 2019
170 Macdonald Blvd.
Alexandria, ON, K0C 1A0
HACCP is an internationally recognized system used to enhance food safety throughout the food chain. More and more companies around the world are using HACCP to prevent, reduce or eliminate potential food safety hazards, including those caused by cross-contamination.
The development of a HACCP system involves:
- identifying potential hazards
- implementing control measures at specific points in the process
- monitoring and verifying that the control measures are working as intended
May 15, 2019
Marriott Downtown at CF Eaton Centre
525 Bay St.
Toronto, ON M5G 2L2
The AGRI Tech Venture Forum is an annual event that serves as a converging point for the global agriculture-technology elite. Industry giants, investors, accelerators, and innovators provide insight on the latest sector headwinds, technology milestones, and key challenges facing the future of agriculture-technology.
Friday, May 24th, 2019
Toronto Reference Library
789 Yonge St., 2nd floor
Toronto, ON, M4W 2G8
Tickets for members: $235, Non-members: $185, Students: $35
This year’s Speaking Food Conference will focus on the skills, technology, and training that will propel the food industry into the future. Network with key industry leaders, listen to invigorating speakers, and engage in various workshops.
May 29, 2019
The Second City Theater
51 Mercer St.
Technology has made life more convenient than it ever has been before. While being constantly connected has yielded many benefits such as greater workplace flexibility, it also places greater demands on our attention and our time. Today’s consumers must constantly manage their attention towards these competing demands as well as balancing the management of their own wellbeing. As the definition of convenience evolves, so does consumer expectations of brands and how they will continue to support their changing needs.
Through the lens of four global trends, this Big Conversation hosted by Mintel, will take a deeper look at how developments and disruptions today are playing a crucial role in shaping consumer behaviour and how these patterns could inspire business decisions ahead.
Each trend presentation will be followed by an analyst panel and audience Q&A session. See a more detailed agenda here.
September 12-14, 2019
The theme of the conference, “Shifting for Growth” reflects the current business, economical and natural environment that both company and individuals face. The Program will provide you the most up-to-date tools and information to enhance your personal and organizational performance, with many networking opportunities incorporated.
September 18-19, 2019
315 Queen St E.
Toronto, ON, M5A 1S7
Natural Products Canada is proud to partner with the Nutrition Capital Network for the 3rd annual investor meeting! Like the previous events, this will showcase up and coming companies with products, ingredients and technologies in the natural health product, functional food, and better-for-you food and beverage industry.
Apply to present
October 8-9, 2019
6900 Airport Rd.
Mississauga, ON, L4V 1E8
Halal Expo Canada 2019 is expected to attract more than 250 exhibitors and 4,000 attendees from over 13 countries including Malaysia, Canada, USA, Turkey, Indonesia, Pakistan, Spain, Qatar, UAE, Egypt, Jordan, India, UK and Morocco. Halal Expo Canada will ensure access to the professionals and decision makers in the business of various industries. It will also grant the opportunity for exhibitors and buyers to identify various opportunities of business trade.
October 25-26, 2019
Scotiabank Convention Centre
6815 Stanley Ave
Niagara Falls, ON, L2G 3Y9
The Ontario Independent Meat Processors is proud to host the 2019 Meat Industry Expo October 25 and 26th, showcasing exhibits featuring the latest in processing and packaging equipment, seasonings and ingredients, food safety/HACCP services, financial and funding programs, computer hardware and software, sanitation, material handling, water treatment, laboratory services, and much more.
The Meat Industry Expo provides one location for companies to showcase their innovative products, make new connections and build on current ones, and provide solutions to the processors and suppliers of the meat processing industry. This 2-day event is a must see for people in the industry, with exhibitors showcasing their products and services to delegates from within Ontario, across Canada and internationally. Don’t miss this opportunity to network, create business relationships and find solutions to challenges facing your business.
University of Guelph is now accepting co-op job postings for the fall work term. Students available from 35+ programs for 4, 8 or 12-month work terms (program specific). Visit the employer section ofuoguelph.ca/coop to learn about hiring incentives.
Still hiring for this summer? It’s not too late, we still have students available. Contact our office at 519-824-4120 ext. 52323 or email email@example.com to get started.
Work with University of Guelph Students to Solve Product Development Challenges
Is your business grappling with a food product / food ingredient challenge? The University of Guelph offers a two-semester course that allows students to examine the research and development process related to new food products including idea generation, consumer exploration, competitive space analysis, prototype development, sensory evaluation and product marketing. Students are presented with a real-world challenge and work to develop a solution over the course of the year.
- Challenges should meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Innovation: Does not exist in Canada/North America on a commercial scale
- Application: Leverage an ingredient which is new or underutilized or a food safe waste-stream product
- Consumer Focused: Address a significant and growing trend in consumer demand that is currently unaddressed
- Technical: Create a new product or translate an existing product to a new format involving significant technical challenges
- Challenges should have at least one specific target/goal in addition to the main challenge (e.g.: Shelf life, Product Parameters, Annual amounts, Nutritional goals, etc.)
- Must be feasible from a cost and capability perspective without significant capital investment
- Must be challenging and interesting from a marketing and/or food science perspective.
If you are interested in the program, please email Derek Vella at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Fall 2019 Concept”.