This update is designed to provide you with concise, up to date agricultural business information with links to where you can find the details.
- Business Strategy / Business Planning
- Human Resources
- Production Management
- Social Responsibility
- Conferences, Workshops and Seminars
Business Strategy / Business Planning
New Canadian Agricultural Partnership to Help Position Canada as a Leader in the Global Economy
The agriculture and agri-food sector is a key growth industry in Canada, contributing over $100 billion annually to the economy and employing 2.3 million Canadians.
Ministers of Agriculture reached agreement July 21 on the key elements of a new federal, provincial, territorial (FPT) agricultural policy framework during the Annual Meeting of Federal, Provincial and Territorial Ministers of Agriculture held in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador, from July 19-21.
The Canadian Agricultural Partnership, a five-year, $3 billion investment, will come into effect on April 1, 2018. It will strengthen the agriculture, agri-food and agri-based products sector, ensuring continued innovation, growth and prosperity. In addition, producers will continue to have access to a robust suite of Business Risk Management (BRM) programs.
Farmer Mental Health – A Conversation that Matters
Until recently, there wasn’t data about the mental health of Canadian farmers. Dr. Andria Jones-Bitton and PhD Candidate Briana Hagen of the Ontario Veterinary College are changing that. During Phase 1 of their project (September 2015 to January 2016), they conducted a nationwide survey on producer stress levels and resilience, with 1,132 farmers responding. The results showed that approximately 45 percent of farmers surveyed were classified as having high levels of stress, while 58 percent were classified with varying levels of anxiety and 35 percent met the definition for depression.
Advanced Farm Management Program
Get ready! AFMP for dairy and grain is coming your way, email us if you’re interested in registering so we can keep you informed of the dates! For more information please see www.advancedfarmmanagment.ca or e-mail email@example.com
Sprout Food Business program
Applications now being accepted for the Sprout Food Business program!
Sprout Barrie is a 10 week business development program designed to help entrepreneurs take their food ideas from concept to market.
Supporting Ontario’s Next Agriculture Leaders
Bringing Agri-Food Education to Classrooms Across the Province
Ontario is continuing to support agri-food literacy in elementary and high schools to educate students on topics such as local food and farm innovation, and to highlight career opportunities in the growing agri-food sector.
The province is continuing its partnership with AgScape, an organization dedicated to increasing agri-food literacy in Ontario, which delivers agri-food literacy programming in classrooms across the province.
Summer is here, looking for fresh Ontario food?
- Farmers’ Market Ontario (http://farmersmarketsontario.com/ ) to find farmers’ markets in your local area.
- Ontario Farm Fresh (http://ontariofarmfresh.com/ ) to find on-farm markets, pick-your-own farms, and agri-tourism destinations in your area.
- Harvest Ontario (https://www.harvestontario.com/ ) to find pick-your-own farms, on-farm markets, farmers’ markets, craft breweries, wineries, fairs and exhibitions. The Harvest Ontario booklet can also be picked up at Home Hardware stores.
- Ontario Culinary Tourism Alliance’s Culinary Explorer Map (http://explorer.ontarioculinary.com/ ) for all things foodie – retail, restaurants, attractions, and activities!
New Agronomy Guide Available
This publication is a comprehensive guide to field crop production.
Sustainable Agriculture Online resources
Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group’s mission is to empower and inspire farmers, individuals, and communities in the South to create an agricultural system that is ecologically sound, economically viable, socially just, and humane.
Online resources developed for farmers and for those who help farmers to create more sustainable farming enterprises.
Achieving Zero Hunger requires transforming rural economies, investing in sustainable agriculture
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations
FAO stresses that achieving Zero Hunger (Sustainable Development Goal 2) requires ensuring people are able to access sufficient nourishing food, sustaining the planet’s natural resources including safeguarding biodiversity, and increasing in a sustainable way the agricultural productivity.
Conferences, Workshops and Seminars
OMAFRA Dateline is an online resource for use by interested individuals and organizations across Ontario. Events may be hosted by OMAFRA or other groups. The events posted on this site are aimed at sharing information of interest to agriculture and regional economic development clients. Please check the calendar regularly for upcoming events, workshops, conferences and meetings.
Growing Forward 2 Educational Workshops
Register on-line for Environmental Farm Plan (EFP) and Growing Your Farm Profits (GYFP) workshops by clicking on the link below to find dates and locations that suit you.
CAFA Farm Tax Update
October 19, 2017
The Delta, Guelph
2017 AgEx Conference
AgEx Conference will be held in Ottawa!
Farming For Our Future: Canada’s 150th
November 21-23, 2017!
For a limited time, BUY ONE GET ONE 50% OFF!
Bring a friend, colleague, or client at half the price!
Select an “Early Bird – BOGO” Ticket to buy two registrations (one at 50% off).
This offer is available as an early bird incentive, so don’t delay!
In addition to expert plenary speakers, AgEx offers a number of unique, interactive features:
* The Great Debate
* Bridging the Gap: Young Farmers’ Bear Pit & Young at Heart Forum
* Discussion Panel: Farmers vs Industry vs Government
* National Farm Business Management Roundtable
* Farm Management Initiatives Showcase
* Concurrent Workshops
More information: http://www.fmc-gac.com/content/agricultural-excellence-conference
CAFA presents: Focus on Farm Women – Practical Tools and Information
Thursday, November 30, 2017
Arden Park Inn, Stratford, ON
- Demystifying Financial Literacy
- How to Sell the Family Farm
- Legal Terminology
- Who has Your Power of Attorney & When do You Give it to Them?
- Advancing Wellness & Resilience on the Farm
- Gender Influences
- Don’t See Your Banker Without This
- What You Need to Know About Health Care Decision-Making in Ontario
- Tax Considerations for Farmers
- The “Everchanging Need” for Life Insurance in Farm Business Planning and Farm Continuation Planning
Thanks for reading the AgBusiness Update.
Questions or Comments: contact the editor, John Molenhuis at firstname.lastname@example.org
Changed Your Email? Please let us know by sending us an email atAgBusinessUpdate@ontario.ca.
Other E-mail Notifications and Newsletters We Offer:
- Crop-Pest Ontario
- Crop Talk
- Field Crops
- Fruit and Vegetable Crops
- Hort Matters
- OMAFRA Radio Reports
- ON Organics Newsletter
- ON Vegetables
- Ontario Berry Grower
- Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Newsletter
- Orchard Network
- Specialty Crops
- Subscribe to Agriphone Messages – includes Maple Production, Cropline (Field Crops), Potato, Tender Fruit, Vegetable, Berry Bulletin, Tender Fruit and Grape
- The Tender Fruit Grape Vine