The Government of Ontario launched the Ontario Youth Jobs Strategy with the commitment to help young people gain valuable career skills and experience. The Summer Employment Opportunities (SEO) program is one of several employment programs contributing to the Ontario Youth Jobs Strategy.
The SEO program helps OPS managers provide up to 5,000 students with the opportunity to gain valuable work experience through supervised summer employment in the Ontario Public Service in ministries and related agencies through centralized program management and administration.
The program offers OPS hiring managers the opportunity to secure student placements during the summer to support Ministry priorities and develop talent pools for entry-level positions and achieve seasonal and operational requirements.
The SEO program provides students with job opportunities across the province, enabling them to gain valuable work experience and develop skills which are transferable to the labour market.
- SEO program provides students with an opportunity to learn, grow and contribute by:
- Gaining valuable work experience
- Obtaining exposure to a variety of career areas
- Improving English/French-language skills
- Networking and learning about a career in the OPS
- Having fun while earning an income over the summer.
Summer student positions were posted on January 2, 2018 with six different closing dates based on job type between January 16 and March 27.