Job Posting: Field Research Assistant – Pest Management Scout in Vegetable Crops
Organization: Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
Division/Branch: Economic Development Division / Agriculture Development Branch
Position Title: Student – Field Research Assistants in Vegetable Crops
Job Term: Temporary (3 positions) for up to 18 weeks
Location: 1 Stone Road W, Guelph, Ontario
Salary: $14.85 / hour, based on a 36.25 hour work week
Closing Date: January 12, 2018
The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs – Agriculture Development Branch in Guelph Ontario is seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic and energetic team player. This position will provide an excellent opportunity for those interested in a career in horticulture production, pest management, plant pathology, entomology, research or the agricultural service sector. This position will provide the opportunity to learn about plant disease, insects and pest management in the horticulture crop sector within the province. The successful candidate will be responsible for both field and office duties. Field work includes setting up research plots, assessing pest populations, scouting for pest issues, recording insect trap data, conducting pest surveys, assisting in data collection and research plot maintenance. Office duties will include data entry and literature reviews.
Duties may include some or all of the following:
- Assist with summer applied research and demonstration projects conducted by Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA).
- Projects will focus on plant pathology, entomology and pest management in vegetable crops.
- Field work includes setting up and maintaining (weeding, planting, etc.) research plots, field scouting, pest monitoring and identification, production practices, pest management etc., collecting/entering of data and preparation of written reports. Training will be provided on research methods, technology transfer, and working in the public sector.
- Assist with the collection and analysis of on-farm samples and data from research projects.
- Assist with gathering existing information, conduct new literature reviews and develop written reports and presentation materials on key initiatives.
- Office work will include assisting with data entry into disease prediction models research, data entry and database management, assisting with the production of technical information such as newsletters, updating web pages, blogs, etc.
Please review the qualifications for this position. What we are looking for:
- You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your work to meet competing deadlines.
- You are willing to travel to rural locations (frequently not accessible by public transportation).
- You are familiar with farming and interested in horticulture crop production.
- You can work in an outdoor environment with physical activity involved.
- You apply your interpersonal skills to work within a multi-disciplinary team.
- You apply your observational skills and attention to detail to conduct research, field monitoring, data collection and entry.
- You are able to apply your written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, factsheets, and articles).
- You are familiar with computer based software applications including Word and Excel.
- Experience in plant pathology, entomology, weed science, horticulture production, or agronomy is an asset.
- You must have an Ontario full G Driver’s Licence and a good driving record.
- You must demonstrate how you meet the eligibility criteria, skills and experience we are looking for clearly, completely and concisely. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- You must be a resident of Ontario.
- You must be eligible to work in Canada.
- You must be between 15-24 years of age (up to 29 with disability) on the first day of employment.
- You must be currently enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary school, or have completed all academic requirements for graduation within 6 months of first day of employment.
How to Apply:
- You must provide your cover letter and resume electronically in one file to firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF or you could provide your cover letter and resume on paper to:
Vegetable Crops Specialist
Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
1 Stone Road West, 1st Floor NW
Guelph, Ontario, N1G 4Y2
If you have a disability and require accommodation to apply please contact the supervisor above.
Closing Date: January 12, 2018